AT A GLANCE
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Area of Focus
ASD, ADHD, Global Developmental Delay, Down Syndrome
Individual sessions, telehealth, parent consultations, school visits, teacher consultations
Monica is a warm occupational therapist with a passion for working with children and families. She completed her bachelor’s degree in Colombia (Universidad del Valle) in 2004. Early in her career Monica developed a love for paediatrics. She particularly loves working with children and families to overcome developmental challenges, firmly believing that every achievement in development can have an enormous impact on a child’s life and a significant meaning for their families and the community.
In 2012, Monica immigrated to Australia. Since then, she has continued to work in both the disability and childcare sectors, building experience and professional skills. Monica joined the Kids Matters team in 2017, where she is delighted to be able to put her talents, experience, and knowledge to work for our children and families.
Monica has worked with children from 0 to 16 (including premature babies) and their families in private practice in the clinic home and school settings. Monica worked extensively in a neurodevelopmental clinic, where she worked collaboratively with other allied health professionals such as Speech Pathologists, Physiotherapist and Psychologists to ensure the best outcome. Monica believes in working closely with specialised clinicians and significant people in the child’s life such as caregivers, educators and teacher aides to ensure that strategies are effective and appropriate.
Monica is experienced in working with children who present with:
- Sensory Processing Difficulties
- Emotional Regulation issues
- Developmental Delays
- Motor coordination problems – gross and fine motor
- Handwriting concerns
- Multiple physical disabilities
- Mental health disorders
- Feeding/food issues
- Difficulties in independence with daily living activities such as dressing and feeding
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Gross motor and fine motor difficulties
- Attention and concentration difficulties
- Learning difficulties
- An Introduction to DIR ®and DIRFloortime® by ICDL (Introductory course)
- The art of Paediatric Therapy by Alice Svensk
- Sensory approaches in OT clinical practices
- Masterclass: Person Centred Practice by Sue Baptiste
- Playconnect: Relationship focus Early Intervention for Young Children with Developmental Delays by Jacki Barfoot
- Pediasuit Protocol ™ and intensive Therapy using the Universal Exercise Unit by Pediasuit
- Motor Problems: Standardized Measurement in Children andAdolescents Course by Gustavo Reinoso
- Basic NeuroMuscular Taping (Kinesiotaping) Course by Taping Neuromuscular Argentina
- Pattern Formation Course-Promotion of hand-writing skills Course by the Colombian Institute of Neurosciences and Puebla University (Mexico)
- Soft Tissue Mobilisation by Surgir, Neurodevelopmental Clinic
Monica approaches therapy in a developmentally appropriate, playful and supportive way, working collaboratively with other therapists, parents, teachers and carers as needed. Utilizing a holistic philosophy of care, she works to identify the underlying factors contributing to presenting difficulties. She will then adapt her therapy to suit these issues, incorporating a variety of approaches such as neurodevelopmental therapy, sensorimotor and sensory integrative therapy, biomechanical interventions, environmental adaptations, behavioural and developmental approaches. Monica seeks to effectively involve and support parents/caregivers and educators in the therapy journey. She is passionate about supporting children and families struggling with emotional regulation and exploring the social-emotional and biological triggers for their challenges in this area.
Monica loves to work with children with sensory processing issues, motor skills challenges, learning difficulties and social and emotional issues. Monica also enjoys supporting kids with Autism, Down Syndrome and Global Developmental Delays.
Monica was born and grew up in Colombia, embracing her culture in everything she does. She is very playful (lots of laughs around her) and passionate about what she does!
Monica loves music and adores dancing! She owns a couple of musical instruments (in which she has not been trained), sings and performs amazing jams (for herself). Those who are close to Monica know she is always into good food.
Sometimes, despite our best efforts you or the therapist may find that you are not a good fit. If your therapist feels that he or she is not best suited to you, he/ she will discuss this with you and recommend a more appropriate therapist.
If you feel that your therapist is not a good fit within the first three sessions, simply discuss this with our admin team who will find a more suitable therapist.