A Foundational Paediatrics Course from Kids Matters OT
This course gives the foundations for three of the major areas in Occupational Therapy Paediatrics. It covers 1) Sensory Processing, 2) ASD and DIR/ Floortime and 3) Learning difficulties and Executive Function. You can choose from any of the individual seminars, or do them all. Therapists will come away with a basic understanding of each condition, knowledge of how to identify the causes of issues and a basic tool kit of strategies for regulation, engagement, behaviour management and cognitive intervention. Participants will know about where to start with assessment and therapy intervention.
Each seminar has been developed using the extensive knowledge of our senior/ experienced therapists, alongside the current research and literature. Through it, you will gain the foundations of theory as well as the opportunity to apply it to yourself and to case studies so you can:
• Have a basic understanding about some core areas of child development
• Know where to start with assessing and treating children
• Know where to look for further information
Each day is a stand alone workshop and can be done individually or as part of a two or three day package.Read more about this seminar
The course will cover 3 main areas:
Day 1: Sensory Processing
This course has been developed according to both current theory and practice, combined with Vivienne Williams’ (OT) and Michelle Cloete’s (OT) extensive knowledge and experience in assessing and treating sensory processing disorders. It combines theory and practice in such a way that you will learn how to identify and interpret sensory processing issues and how to do an effective sensory diet/ lifestyle.
Day 2: ASD and DIR/ Floortime
This course has been developed based on the integration of the DIR/Floortime basic certificate course with numerous other ASD assessment and treatment courses, personal study and extensive experience of both Vivienne Williams (OT) and Cameron Griffiths (OT). It will help you understand the core deficits of ASD and how to start treating it using the DIR/ Floortime model and related approaches. Cameron will also offer a special lecture on understanding and managing melt-downs.
Day 3: Executive Function and Specific Learning Difficulties
This course has been developed based on the integration of many years of study and clinical experience regarding learning difficulties and executive functioning by Vivienne Williams (OT), Julia Eggles (OT) and Judy Lockhart (SLP). You will gain a basic understanding of the developmental foundations for learning; the types and reasons for learning challenges from both an OT and Speech pathology perspective and you get some great tips about where to start with treating it.
Day 3 Evening – Meet the Industry
Join with top therapists from many of the different workplaces around Brisbane (hospitals, non-for-profits, private, rural) and hear a quick overview of their scope of work. Mingle and ask your questions.
Top reasons to do this course:
- You will be introduced to 3 core frameworks needed for treating kids (and adults who haven’t grown out of it)
- It provides you with the knowledge of where to start from the myriad of approaches and techniques
- You will get a chance to learn from very experienced therapists who do this everyday
- Save yourself time, energy and money as you glean key points from the experience of those working in the field
- Speakers are engaging, interactive and there are large theory and practical components to the course.
- These frameworks apply to people across the lifespan and across all areas of OT work – from paediatrics to mental health and adult rehab.
- It will count towards your CPD points and is fully tax deductible
- As a foundational course, it is a useful attribute to your CV
- The course gives some flexibility – You can do 1 day of your choice, 2 days or 3 days to help you manage your costs and time
- Opportunities will be given for paid mentoring through our clinic for those who want to advance their skills further
Click here to find out when it is on and where
When: Jan 20th, 21st, 22nd 2015 – registration from 8:00 am, starting 9 am.
• 3 days (incl.”MTI”): $695 (earlybird before 28/11/2014) $795 (full price)
• Any two days: $495 (earlybird before 28/11/2014) $595 (full price)
• Any One Day: $295 (earlybird before 28/11/2014) $345 (full price)
• Day 3 “Meet the Industry” (MTI): $75
Where: Brisbane Golf Club, Tennyson Memorial Avenue, Yeerongpilly
Bookings closed by 23/12/2014.
50% refund before 28/11/2014, No refund after this time.
Lunch, morning and afternoon tea are provided.