What is Integrated Listening Systems?
This is a listening based exercise program that aims to improve brain and body function. The activities are fun and can be easily customised for all ages and skill levels.
iLS combines music, movement and language and so works to build the foundational supports for body organisation. As the body becomes more organised, so does the brain. With increased organisation, the brain is able to process information from our environment better, sustain attention and learn more easily.
iLs is based on the fact that we can change our brain – we can essentially re-wire it through specific and repeated stimulation, a concept known as neuroplasticity. As in building strength and endurance with physical exercise, we are able to build neurological pathways and synaptic activity at any age.
iLs trains for brain/body integration through a staged approach, starting with the fundamentals of sensory integration and then extending through more complex cognitive functions, including language, self-expression and social skills.
The types of outcomes include:
- Dynamic balance and proprioceptive abilities improve – a child may finally learn how to ride a bicycle.
- With faster processing speed, a student may pay attention and catch on more quickly.
- With eyes and ears working together better, reading becomes easier and a child approaches grade level.
- With gross and fine motor systems more integrated, handwriting improves.
- With emotions better controlled, there are less behavioural outbursts and more friends at school.
- With a stronger working memory, a child may become better at maths and reading comprehension.
- With sustained attention, a child is less distracting to others and less impulsive.
Clients who benefit:
Anyone with delays and/ or difficulties in any of the following areas:
- Concentration, attention, memory
- Speech, Language
- Written expression and reading comprehension
- Social communication and behaviour
- Motor skills
- Processing speed
- Sensory Processing
For more information visit the iLS website:
Visit https://integratedlistening.com.au/the-science-of-how-ils-works/ for an explanation and for research https://integratedlistening.com.au/research/
To access Integrated Listening Systems, call our admin team on 07 3392 6133 to make an appointment with one of our iLS trained therapists. They will assess your child to determine suitability for the program. This is done in a clinic session as a paid Occupational Therapy appointment.