Power Tools For Teachers!
This course helps teachers understand three of the major special needs areas of students – 1) Sensory Processing and Behaviour Issues, 2) Engaging children with ASD and Asperger’s Syndrome and 3) Overcoming Learning and Executive Function difficulties. “Teaching Kids With Special Needs: What Every Teacher should Know” gives you the power tools you need to help your students thrive.Read more about this seminar
This seminar has been developed using the extensive knowledge of our senior/ experienced occupational therapists and speech pathologist, alongside the current research and literature. Through it, you will gain the foundations of theory as well as the opportunity to apply it to yourself, to case studies and your classroom so you will come away with:
- A basic understanding of each condition
- Knowledge of how to identify the causes of issues kids are having in the classroom
- A power tool kit of strategies for how to keep kids become more regulated, engaged and co-operative in the classroom so the whole class can learn better.
It is also designed to help you meet the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers –
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/ carers and the community:
The course will cover 3 areas.
Day 1: Sensory Processing – How do I teach the child who can’t sit still, concentrate or gets overwhelmed by the classroom environment?Read more about Day 1: Sensory Processing
Learn how to identify and interpret the different sensory processing issues in a school setting and so to understand that unusual behaviour. You will also learn how to:
- Effectively implement sensory strategies in the classroom to enhance engagement, attention and learning
- Effectively manage those kids who seem fine in the classroom, but their parents report major stress and melt-downs at home.
Day 2 – Morning: How do I teach that child with ASD or Asperger’s Syndrome?Read more about Day 2: ASD / Asperger's Syndrome
Understand the core deficits of ASD and how to tailor your teaching, interactions and the environment to your students with ASD. We have a special lecture by Cameron on understanding and managing melt-downs at school.
Day 2 – Afternoon: Why can’t that child learn?/ How to teach kids with Specific Learning Difficulties / Executive Function IssuesRead more about Day 2: Specific Learning Difficulties / Executive Function Issues
Understand the developmental foundations, the types and reasons for learning challenges from both an OT and Speech pathology perspective. Learn some strategies and tips about where to start with these children to help them overcome their blocks, learn and improve their confidence in the classroom setting.
This course has been developed based on the integration of many years of study and clinical experience regarding learning difficulties and executive functioning by Vivienne Williams (OT), Julia Eggles (OT) and Judy Lockhart (SLP).
Top reasons to do this course:
- This information is something that all teachers need to know to get the best out of their students.
- You will learn strategies to help tailor to teaching to meet the diverse needs of your class.
- It covers 3 of the big challenging areas for teaching.
- Speakers are engaging, interactive and there is a large practical component to the course.
- You will get a chance to learn from very experienced therapists who do this everyday (in both schools and a clinic setting).
- It will help you meet your registration requirements by supporting you to meet the Australian Professional Standards for teachers.
- It is held in the last week of your holidays so you can easily get leave.
- The venue provides a great lunch, comfortable facilities and ample parking.
- There are choices of doing either the whole course or just 1 day.
- The course is fully tax deductible.
When: Jan 15th & 16th 2015 – registration from 8:00 am, starting 9 am.
• Two days: $345 (earlybird before 28/11/2014) $445 (full price)
• Any One Day: $175 (earlybird before 28/11/2014) $225 (full price)
*Note: These prices have been heavily discounted to be more accessible to graduates.
Where: Brisbane Golf Club, Tennyson Memorial Avenue, Yeerongpilly
- Bookings closed by 12/01/2015.
- 50% refund before 28/11/2014, No refund after this time.
- High quality lunch, morning and afternoon tea are provided (see course outline).